But aren't there just electrolyte waters that you can buy? What about them? Another reason why I don't do store bought drinks, even electrolyte enhanced water is because they always come in plastic bottles, which can contain endocrine-disrupting chemicals. I know there is debate on this, but in my book, I would rather be safe than sorry! So I drink out of stainless steel and glass as much as possible. My kids take Life Factory water bottles, which come in fun kids colors, to school for their lunches and love them.
Another reason I don't drink out of plastic is because I love making my own drinks, like this electrolyte water, with essential oils. And essential oils can break down chemicals in the plastic, especially if they are quality pure oils. And since I know I use high quality oils, I don't want to have a bunch of leaking, melting plastic cups on my hands! :)
It's important to use a high quality sea salt for this because that is where we get these amazing electrolytes and trace minerals that our body craves.
Healthy Electrolyte Water with sea salt:
- 4 cups water
- 1-2 Tbsp local raw honey
- 3/4 tsp Celtic Sea Salt(R)**
- Lemon, Lime, or any other citrus juice to taste
- 2-3 drops of Young Living essential oil, my fav combos:
- Grapefruit & Lemon
- Lemon & Lime
- Tangerine & Orange
- All the citrus oils help to support the bodies ability to detox, too*!
- Heat the water, salt and honey on low heat in a pot on low, stirring frequently. This is just to incorporate the honey and dissolve the salt and should only take 2-3 minutes. Be careful to not over-heat!
- Add desired essential oils, stir, and pour into a glass or stainless steel container and enjoy! (remember, no plastic straws!)